Traditional Yearbooks Meet the Digital Age
Walking the hallways at Greenwood Elementary I often say, “It’s an amazing time to be a student.” Meaningful opportunities to connect and create using new mediums abound. Students can use digital tools to take their learning to new levels. This year they can do the same with their yearbooks!
Our yearbooks are loaded with Augmented Reality (AR) pictures, videos, and snippets of school concert footage. (If you’re unfamiliar with AR, it’s very similar to the yellow first-down lines that are displayed on television during NFL games; the supplemental digital content adds to the viewing experience!)
Students that ordered yearbooks will receive them this week. In addition to the traditional fun of exchanging autographs, kids can experience some supplemental digital content by following the directions below.
1. Download the Aurasma App on an iPad or SmartPhone.
2. Follow the “Greenwood Elementary” channel in the Aurasma App. (This step is important.)
3. Aim your iPad or SmartPhone’s Aurasma viewfinder at the yearbook to begin hunting for the bonus photos and videos.
There are 30+ Augmented Reality photos/videos embedded in your child’s yearbook. Some of the AR photo links may be sensitive to ink smudging, so avoid excessive scribbling to preserve the functionality of embedded videos.
Yearbook ScavengAR Hunt:
- Can you find the Principal’s video greeting on page 1?
- Find the 5th grade musical, Annie, and you’ll get footage from the show via the Aurasma app.
- Locate our Head Custodian, Jesse Husby, and watch the picture of him in -45 degree windchill transform. Brrrr!!
- Search for Police Chief Mike Goldstein to hear a special message to our students about DARE.
- Find our Character Trait posters to see student-created character education videos. (Special thanks to Mr. Uselding!)
- Look for the surprise engagement photo with one of our teachers.
- Check-out the Home Base & Bright Start preschool video highlights.
- If you search long enough you’ll even find hidden Field Trip footage from a winter trip some students took.
- Each 5th grade classroom has a virtual tour linked to their class so our “graduates” will always remember their elementary years!
- Every grade-level has at least one AR surprise to find on their grade-level yearbook page…good luck!
Special thanks to our PTA yearbook chairperson, Kari, for the countless hours she invested into the yearbook this year. Kari and her team compiled some really great pictures that will help us all remember what a fantastic year this was. She was extremely collaborative and worked to make it possible to add AR surprise content to the yearbook. (If you lose this blog post she included directions for downloading the Aurasma App to the fist page of our yearbook.) A big thanks to Kari and the entire PTA team…we are so thankful for your support!