You’re invited to join an interactive Twitter chat about innovation in our schools. Mark your calendar for October 21st at 7:00pm CST. Ben Gilpin, Dr. Kaylen Tucker, and I will be co-moderating a National Conversation about Innovation. We want to hear your innovation “Dos & Don’ts”!
As a precursor to the chat, check out the NAESP Principal Magazine article titled, “Leadership for Tomorrow” by clicking HERE. The article features innovative insights from respected educators across the country including Rafranz Davis, Dr. Joe Mazza, Jennie Magiera, and Sarah Thomas.
If you’ve never participated in a Twitter chat feel free to reach out for support. We will tweet out a question every five minutes to the hashtags #CE15 and #NAESP. Chat participants can respond to the questions and interact with one another. Be sure to include the hashtags in your tweets as well!
For a sneak preview of the chat questions check out the flyer above. We’re looking forward to connecting!
We are extremely excited for our ‘Open House and Community Connections Night’ on September 3rd. This year we are flipping things around a bit! We are sharing some short videos before Open House so that our families have the chance to learn more about our amazing teachers and the curriculum prior to connecting in person.
1. Watch the short video promo above. (It’s less than two minutes long.)
2. Go to https://goo.gl/4u7pFV and select the grade-level playlist you’d like to watch. Don’t forget to watch the flipped videos created by Specialists and Administration too.
3. Join us at Open House and Community Connections Night on September 3, 2015. PTA booths open at 3:00pm. Classrooms are open between 4:00 – 6:00pm. Community tables, PTA booths, and Social Media Support will be open in the Cafeteria throughout Open House. We can’t wait to connect!
I’m really proud of the extra time our team took to create their curriculum videos. To access each grade-level’s playlist in YouTube click HERE.
To access our ‘Welcome Back’ letter click HERE.
To go to our school’s website with more Open House dates/forms click HERE.
Please let me know if I can help in any way.
Background Information: We believe that the most important voices in a school are those of its students; they are central to our mission. The purpose for highlighting pedagogy via video is to amplify student voice when we are together in person. We want the walls of the Wayzata City Hall to reverberate with authentic student sharing and stories about their learning experiences at Greenwood Elementary.
Providing content prior to a lesson or presentation is often referred to as “flipped” instruction. We’re applying the same basic principles to maximize our face-to-face time and to facilitate deeper conversation at the School Board meeting. Please watch our five minute video before April 13.
Focus: Meaningful Technology Integration
- I can identify at least two approaches teachers are using to help students discover their unique talents.
- I can evaluate how students are experiencing a “connected pedagogy” by articulating how technology is being used to transform learning in order to prepare students for their future.
School Board Presentation Agenda
Students will share two-three minute presentations with the support of their teachers. A copy of the PowerPoint we’ll be using is below.
- Sphero Robotic Droids featuring students taught by Carrie Lunetta & Joe McAuliff
- Mobile MakerSpace Carts featuring students taught by Ginny Adams
- Genius Hour featuring students taught by Joe Vrudny & Elle Zeman
- 3D Printing featuring students taught by Adam Hinnenkamp
- Drone Technology featuring students taught by Madeline Ray & Brad Gustafson
- EPIC Reading featuring students taught by Ashley Drill & Jamie Tewksbury
- Question & Answer Time facilitated by Greenwood students and staff
- Click HERE to view a “Flipped Leadership” book by Peter M. DeWitt.
- Hashtags on Twitter to Explore include: #ThatsMyCube, #GWgreats, and #EduDroneChallenge.
- Watch an astounding TED Talk about the athletic powers of quadcopters.
- Video Resources specific to Greenwood include: Mobile MakerSpaces, Genius Hour, ConnectED BINGO, and Sphero Droids.