Our school is excited to shine the light on some Wayzata student-athletes who are sharing inspiring messages of positive character.
Our teachers will be sharing one short video every couple days with our elementary students. The dates that each video will be shared are listed below. We also have some optional classroom conversation starters that align with the message that each student-athlete shared. I am also encouraging students to practice the character pledge at the conclusion of this blog post.
We will show the video above to students on September 14, 2015
Character Trait: Trustworthiness
Descriptors: Be honest and reliable. Do what you say you’ll do. Have the courage to do the right thing. Tell the truth. Admit mistakes. Choose integrity.
- How does Cooper compare communication to trustworthiness?
- Why do you think Cooper says, “Trustworthiness is an important factor in a successful team?”
- How is your class or school like Cooper’s lacrosse team?
- How can you show trustworthiness at the Fun Run?
We will show the video above to students on September 16, 2015
Character Trait: Respect
Descriptors: Treat others with respect. Follow the Golden Rule. Use good manners, not bad language. Don’t threaten, hit, or hurt anyone. Stand up for what is right.
- What example did Eliq use for showing respect when a coach or teacher is speaking?
- How can you show respect for yourself?
- What are some ways you can be a respectful spectator or fan?
We will show the video above to students on September 18, 2015
Character Trait: Responsibility
Descriptors: Put forth a good effort. Be accountable for your words and actions. Set a good example for others. Do what you are supposed to do. Plan ahead. Think before you act. Be on time.
- How does Emily show responsibility to her dance team?
- Why is asking for help if you need it showing responsibility?
- What responsibility do we have to our class and team for being positive?
We will show the video above to students on September 21, 2015
Sport: Wrestling & Football
Character Trait: Fairness
Descriptors: Play by the rules. Take turns. Listen to others and be open-minded. Don’t take advantage of others. Treat all people fairly.
- How does Andrew show fairness when a referee or teammate makes a mistake?
- Andrew mentions being on a team with younger classmates. What does Andrew mean when he encourages us to, “Teach them up?”
- What will you do to respond to Andrew’s challenge (e.g. The Fairness Experiment).
We will show the video above to students on September 23, 2015
Sport: Cross Country & Track
Character Trait: Caring
Descriptors: Be kind. Express gratitude by saying, “Thank you.” Take a stand against bullying. Be a good friend and student.
- How does Hannah know her team cares about her?
- Who does Hannah encourage us to show caring towards?
- What will you do to show caring?
We will show the video above to students on September 25, 2015
Sport: Diving & Track and Field
Character Trait: Citizenship
Descriptors: Obey laws and rules. Do your share to make our community better. Cooperate. Stay informed. Be a good friend and neighbor. Respect authority.
- What does it mean to be an ambassador of our school?
- Why is following laws and rules important in diving? Why is it important in school?
- What do you think Mara means when she says, “Respect authority”?
Student Character Pledge*
and CITIZENSHIP too.
They bring out the best in me and you.
and being FAIR
Help to show others that I really
I know what’s right
I know what’s good
I will work hard to do
What I know I should.
*Character Pledge Credit: The Josephson Institute
A special thanks goes to the high school students who donated their time to visit our school to share with us. Thanks for being great role models to our students. Thanks also to our PTA for organizing our Fun Run and connecting it to the character traits we focus on all year long. Having a common language helps us support positive decision-making and celebrate students for making a difference in a unified way!